This family favourite is creamy, rich and fragrant. A wonderful winter warmer!
15 mins Prep Time 1h 35m Cook Time 4 People Servings
500g skinless, boneless chicken thighs
For the marinade:
1 lemon, juiced
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp paprika
1-2 tsp hot chilli powder
200g natural yogurt
For the curry:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
1 tsp garam masala
3 tbsp tomato purée
300ml chicken stock
50g flaked almonds, toasted
To serve (optional):
cooked basmati rice
mango chutney or lime pickle
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients with some seasoning in a medium bowl.
2. Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces and toss with the marinade. Cover and chill in the fridge for 1 hour, or overnight.
3. Heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, green chilli, ginger and some seasoning. Fry on a medium heat for 10 minutes, or until soft.
4. Add the spices and tomato purée. Cook for 2 minutes until fragrant, then add the stock and marinated chicken.
5. Cook for 15 minutes, then add any remaining marinade.
6. Simmer for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with toasted almonds.
7. Serve with rice, naan bread, chutney, coriander, and lime wedges.