Spring roasted lemon and thyme chicken
Lentils are a great source of iron and fibre, and are high in protein. Enjoy this healthy take on a classic Sunday dish.
For the Spring Roasted Lemon and Thyme Chicken
2kg whole chicken
150g of salted butter (softened)
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 1 lemon
- Small bunch of fresh thyme
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
For the Puy Lentils and Roasted Vegetables
- 3 red onions (cut into wedges)
- 3 parsnips (cut into 4, lengthways)
- 3 carrots (cut into 4 ,lengthways)
- 3 beetroots (cut into wedges)
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme
3 tbsp of olive oil
2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
400g of purple sprouting broccoli
200g of puy lentils (microwave pouch)
25g of fresh parsley (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6.
- Mix the softened butter, rind of 1 lemon and half of the fresh thyme together in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Loosen the skin from the breast meat of the chicken and spread the butter under the skin.
- Cut the other lemon in half and place in the cavity of the chicken with the remaining thyme. Place in a roasting tray and put into the oven.
- Once the chicken has been roasting for 45 minutes, place all the vegetables into a roasting tin. Toss in the olive oil and thyme. Season well, and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, stir well and then place back in the oven to roast for 10-15 minutes.
- Reheat the lentils in the microwave as per pack instructions. Once hot and the vegetables are roasted, stir the lentils into the roasted vegetables and season to taste.
- Allow the chicken to cook for a final 20 minutes.
- During this time, steam the spears of purple sprouting broccoli for 6-10 minutes, until tender.
- Once the skin of the chicken is golden and crisp and the juices of the chicken run clear, remove the chicken from the oven.
- Drain and drizzle the lemony juices of the chicken over the broccoli before serving. If desired, keep some of the juices of the chicken aside, to make a tasty and zesty gravy.
- Scatter with chopped parsley just before serving.