Spice up your family pizza night with these delicious calzones, made using our Southern Fried Mini Fillets.
1h 40m Prep Time 30 mins Cook Time 8 People Servings
For the dough:180ml lukewarm water
1. Preheat the oven and cook the Southern Fried Mini Fillets according to package instructions. Slice each Mini Fillet and set aside.
2. Combine the water and yeast in a large bowl. Set aside for five minutes until the yeast dissolves. Add the flour and salt and mix together with your hands into a shaggy dough.
3. Turn the dough and any loose flour from the bowl out onto a clean work surface. Knead for 6-8 minutes until smooth and elastic. If the dough is very sticky, knead in 1-2 tablespoons of flour until smooth.
4. Tear off a small piece of dough and use your fingertips to gently stretch it into a square. If the dough stretches thinly enough that you can see light passing through it without it tearing, if is ready. If not, keep kneading and check again after a few minutes. Form the dough into a ball.
5. Coat the insides of a bowl with the olive oil, then place the dough in the bowl and cover with a clean tea towel. Set aside for 90 minutes or until doubled in size.
6. Preheat the oven to 230˚C/210˚C fan/gas mark 8. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
7. For the filling, heat the oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat and cook the mushrooms for 5-6 minutes until golden. Season with black pepper, then remove from the heat and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes. In a bowl, combine together the mushrooms, pepperoni, Mozzarella and oregano.
8. Divide the dough into six equal portions. Working with one piece of dough at a time, press each piece into a flat disc, then use a rolling pin to roll into an 18cm round. Be sure to maintain an even thickness of the dough, as the calzone will burst if the dough is too thin. If the dough shrinks back and is difficult to roll, let it rest for five minutes and try again.
9. Spread one tablespoon of the tomato passata on one half of each dough round, leaving a 2cm border around the edge. Spoon 1½-2 tablespoons of the filling mixture on top of the sauce and top with one-sixth of the sliced Mini Fillets. Do not overfill the calzones.
10. Fold the dough over the filling, making sure not to pull too tightly. Press the edges tightly to seal and roll the bottom edge up and over the top, crimping the dough with the tines of a fork to seal. Transfer the calzones to the prepared baking tray.
11. Brush each calzone lightly with the egg wash. Using a sharp knife, poke 2-3 steam vents on the top of each calzone.
12. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the calzones are golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbling. Allow to cool for 4-5 minutes before serving.